Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2019

And Now For Something Completely Different...

In restarting this blog, my intent is to publish useful, software engineering related material every week or so.  To that point, I have almost 2 months of ideas planned out.  They including everything from using drawings to build state machines to some of the more useful design patterns I have found.

But something came up. Something I think you will enjoy when it is completed, but something that needs some immediate attention.

I have been contacted to write another book for Packt, and I am working to develop the proposal.

What's all this about writing another book?

One of the more frequent questions I when I tell people that I am a published author is "How did that happen?"

There are a couple of ways to get a book published. One method is to write the book and self-publish.

The next is to write a book and then shop it around to different publisher. This is the way many authors start out. The trick is to find a publishing house with an editor that will say yes. It is not easy.

In many ways it is like trying to find a job.  You network, send out "resumes" (or samples of your writing), make calls, etc. etc.

When I was looking for my last two jobs, I did all of that stuff, and it got me nowhere.  In the case of my last two jobs, the companies reached out to me (through a recruiter).  In the case of my first book, the same thing happened.

For "Hands-on Embedded Programming with Qt," an Acquisitions Editor reached out to me to see if I would be interested in writing a book on the book.  I actually declined at first, but he talked me into it, and I am glad he did.  (I like to say I was commissioned to write the book.) It was hard work, and there were some sleep deprived days, but in the end I really enjoyed it.

Recently, the Acquisitions Editor reached out to me with two book ideas.  I read both them and discovered that one proposal is almost exactly the next book I was thinking I should write.

So there you have it.  I've been commissioned to write another Packt book titled "REDACTED" that will be tentatively published in REDACTED of 2020.  I'm really looking forward to it, and I am hoping that now that I know the process, it will go quite easily.

And In the Meantime...

In the meantime, I still plan on covering the topics I had planned for the blog, but will also probably slip hints in about my progress on the new project.

Selling the Merch...

Please Check-out "Hands-on Embedded Programming with Qt".  It is available on both Amazon and Packt websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because a few bad actors post bogus, provocative, offending, advertisements, and other inappropriate comments, All Comments are Moderated. We will try to get to your comments as quickly as possible.